Wraithborn, Vol. 1 by Joe Benítez & Marcia Chen

Wednesday, June 28, 2017
Add to Goodreads Shelf
Title: Wraithborn
Series: Wraithborn, Vol. 1
Author: Joe Benítez, Marcia Chen 
Illustrator: Joe Benítez
Genre: Graphic Novel
Publisher: Benitez Productions 
Date: November 2016
Length: x pages
This book was free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
He was trained from birth to inherit a mythical power. She is the timid teenage girl to whom it was bestowed instead. Together only they can stop an ancient evil from rising and enslaving all humankind. An epic urban fantasy from the creator of Lady Mechanika! Collects all 6 issues of the "Redux" edition of Wraithborn.
Description from Goodreads
Awkward girl is accidentally given mystical powers and must become a ninja and help save the world? Yes, please, sign me up.

What I liked

Art: As I said in my review of Lady Mechanika, I really like Joe Benítez's work. Wraithborn does harken back to Wildstorm's days of ridiculous female costumes and Lady Gaga foot ware, but the action sequences were great and the illustrations were dramatic and pretty. I wasn't a fan of the imps running around in Borg S&M wear, but I got over it.
Story: It's not a new story, but I do enjoy the kid-gets-magical-powers-and-must-come-out-of-their-shell-to-defend-the-world trope. I appreciated the fact that Valin didn't become some crazy megalomaniac trying to get back 'his' powers. He wants to do the right thing even if it's hard. All of his training and studying does cause him to be a bit blind to what's going on around him. I liked that we saw a bit of both main characters' home life, but the focus was generally on Melanie. The book was also peppered with funny bits and one liners. Who doesn't like laughs mixed in with their demons and swordplay?

Valin: I'm not a fan of his extra long sideburns, but I might have a new comic book boyfriend (sorry, Shatterstar). He's so incredibly deadly, but stiff and formal, and still tries to be a good guy. Huh, he actually sounds quite a bit like Shatterstar. I must have a comic book hero type.

What I'm on the fence about

Execution of the story: There are some weird parts in the story. Melanie's dad is totally unconcerned about some guy almost kidnapping he, it's more important that she realizes she was being chased by rabid dogs, not monsters. Valin's sister trains with him and knows he's in a secret society, but she's not supposed to know about demons? And why does he refer to their family as his family. Is she not his sister? It also feels like the story uses all of the high school stereotypes possible. It gives a fun idea a plastic feel. There was also an attempt to tug on the heart strings, but it was more like a sympathy 2x4 to the face. I don't think my eye roll was the reaction they were going for.

Some of the outfits: I don't know about you, but I always battle the forces of evil while wearing a swimsuit. The outfits look cool and tough but sometimes a bit silly. And Zoe's grandmother dressed up as some type of Voodoo nun? Do you know how hot and humid it gets in New Orleans? I barely survived playing soccer down there in the 'fall' and Benítez has grandma in layers of fabric with only her eyes and nose peaking out. I was suffering from second hand heatstroke just looking at her.

Some of my notes:

My daughter was sick and snuggling with me, so my one handed typing was terrible.

What didn't work for me

Some of the Characters: I liked Melanie but I think the authors went over the top in making her a cowardly nerd. They do lay some groundwork on why she's become such a loner, but I'm torn between feeling sorry for her and not liking her. The high school background characters were such stereotypes that it affected my enjoyment. Zoe has a lot of potential, but right now she's lost in the Manic Pixie Dream Girl curse.

Rating: 3.5 - 4

I can't quite decide. I'm intrigued enough to look for and read the next volume if I can get it for free. A fun story with cool characters was dragged down by an overload of stereotypes. I'm hoping that volume 2 will be something that really sucks me in.

Have you read Wraithborn? Does the story get better? I really hope it does because it's such a fun idea. Am I alone in getting distracted by ridiculous comic book costumes?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top