Ida and the Whale by Rebecca Gugger

Tuesday, March 26, 2019
Ida and the Whale Book Cover
Title: Ida and the Whale
Author: Rebecca Gugger
Illustrator: Simon Röthlisberger
Genre: Children's Books, Picture Books
Publisher: North South Books
Date: March 26, 2019
Length: 32 pages
NetGalley review copy
What lies behind the sun, the moon, and the stars?
Ida can’t stop thinking about these and other very important questions. Then one night, a flying whale wakes her and takes her on an amazing journey—where some of her questions are answered and even more created.
This gentle, philosophical tale is a visual treat sure to fill curious little listeners with wonder.
Description from NetGalley
Oooh, I'm a sucker for watercolor illustrations, so this book definitely had my attention. I have always enjoyed reading stories to classes that got the kids thinking, discussing, and building off each other's ideas. I was hoping this book might be one that got those types of discussions started... and it kinda was.

What I liked

Imagery: Röthlisberger's lovely watercolors went from simple to a detailed twist of perception. There was almost an MC Escher quality to some of the illustrations that really pull you in and make you want to explore each page. This was a visually engaging book. (I know some art teachers who would love to use Ida and The Whale for a variety of units.)

Ida meets the flying whale
Ida and the Whale by Rebecca Gugger 
Played with word placement and color: I really liked how Gugger's text would wave, stretch, or fade as it fit the story. The font wasn't constantly changing like a Geronimo Stilton book, it was generally one word per page. It's an element that worked well with the story and the illustrations.


Ida and the Whale by Rebecca Gugger

What I'm on the fence about

Philosophical-ish: Yes, there are some statements like, "Sometimes there is more to see than you think," or, "sometimes you can only understand others if you stand on your head" that kids can discuss or wonder over. But the "philosophy" seemed to be more opposite statements than something designed to make you think. It reminded me a lot of Audrey Wood's Bright and Early Thursday Evening, except far less manic in pace.

Not a great read aloud: This book is better for a one-on-one or family read as opposed to a large group read for a class. A lot of the book's ideas are communicated through the pictures, but the details are small and it's better if children have the opportunity to really look at the illustrations. Being a good read aloud or not isn't a book killer, but it's something I automatically think of as a school librarian.

What didn't work for me

I can't put my finger on it: The story seemed to abruptly change with each idea that it briefly explored. Is it because it's a translation and something was lost in the switch to English? Is it a storytelling style that I'm not familiar with? The book just seemed more like strung together ideas as opposed to a cohesive story.

Rating: 3.0

Ida and the Whale is a quiet story with engrossing illustrations. Visually the book is fantastic. I think it's a great choice for kids who, like me, can spend a lot of time inspecting the pictures and finding hidden little gems. The narrative has some nice elements but never seems to add up to whole story. Would I buy this for my school library, most likely. Would I recommend it for a family purchase? Eh, not really. Pick this one up from your library.

Have you ever run into a book that you wanted love but just couldn't? Parts of it were so attractive but something just wasn't clicking? For the first few pages, Ida and the Whale was a perfect book for me. Beautiful watercolor illustrations, charming details, and the beginnings of a sweet story that promised to get kids thinking. I wanted to like this book so much, but we just weren't connecting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top