Let the Love-A-Thon Begin!

Saturday, February 18, 2017

An Introduction to You and Your Blog

1. My name is Jennifer, but I normally comment as Inkling because there are so many Jennifers out there. (I even have a cousin named Jennifer.) I'm blogging from Arkansas, USA.

2. I was not a reader. My parents were readers, my best friend was a reader, but not me. I had a hard time learning how to read when a kindergarten teacher discovered that I needed glasses. By the end of first grade I was reading at grade level but I didn't like reading because I associated it with struggle and embarrassment.  At the most I'd read most of the Chronicles of Narnia, but that's it. My mom picked up all types of books for me but I rarely touched them. Then, in fourth grade a classmate, also named Jennifer, was telling me about this book she found in the library. It was set during World War II and these children pooled their weekly allowance and one child a week got to have a Saturday adventure. For whatever reason this caught my attention. Once she was finished with it I went to the library and checked out the school's 30 year old copy of THE SATURDAYS by Elizabeth Enright. I loved it! And I was very excited to recognize the name of the second book in the series. My mom had gotten me THE FOUR STORY MISTAKE awhile ago and it had been languishing in the living room bookshelf since. We then found the third book at the city library, but I never have been able to get my hands on the last book in the series. By the next Christmas my parents had gifted me with floor to ceiling bookshelves that ran the length of my room and had a window seat (!) because my book collection was a tripping hazard.

3. I've used book bloggers for additional reviews and info when researching books to order for the school library. It's a great tool to discover new books as well as narrow down my buy list to something more realistic.

4. I chose blogger simply because it was an easy platform to setup and customize. I love using Instagram for my personal account, so I decided to start one for the blog as well. I'm still developing my style. Since most of my books are e-books I haven't quite figured out how capture that with IG.

I have always loved the word 'inkling', it makes me think of fantasy novels and friendly monsters hiding in the rafters.

5. It tends to be a nice online community, it's a great resource, and I love reading people's thoughts on books I've read.

6. Typical reviews for a wide range of genres, but I want to support families by highlighting great read alouds or good picks for reluctant readers. I'll post a review for a K-8th grade books on Tuesdays.

7. Fantasy and Paranormal Romance, some Nonfiction or history. I'm not sure, just tends to be what I'm gravitating towards at the time. I'll also post a cookbook and graphic novel review once a month.

Favorites

1. Favorite food? Beverage? 
This is an impossible question. Bar-B-Que (the American kind) has been a favorite since I was a kid. Cheesecake is pretty awesome too. I do like a glass of wine or gin & tonic some nights once the kids are in bed but caffeine is generally what sustains me.

2. As I tell my students, "Sparkly" is my favorite color.

3. Favorite things to do apart from reading? 
Wine and Cheese Night with my husband (at home with wine, cheese and crackers, and cartoons or movies), I really like baking, watching makeup tutorials (I'm terrible with makeup but it's a daily way to do some self care and I enjoy it), and sleeping (sorry, I've got 2 kids, so I've got to indulge when I can). I've started looking into some simple sewing lessons and I'm thinking about getting back into embroidery. But really, there just isn't enough time in the day, I'm lucky if I get to bed at a decent time.

4. Favorite tv shows? 
I'll be honest, this is the first year we've had television service in eleven years. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I do like HGTV, KillJoys, The Expanse, and we're giving Powerless a try. My husband and I used to watch a ton of anime, but we haven't really found any lately that keep our attention. Anybody have recommendations?

5. Favorite movies?
 Star Wars (lets pretend the prequels didn't happen) and Rear Window. Tim's Vermeer is a pretty cool documentary.

6. Favorite musical artists? 
Another impossible question. As a kid I always said Nat King Cole and Willie Nelson. But I listen to just about everything. My kids don't like the punk but we do pretty well with jazz.

7. Favorite places to shop? 
Target, Sephora, and whatever bookshop is near by.

Book Talk

1. Favorite childhood books? 
The Saturdays, The Babysitter's Club, Christopher Pike (more of a high school read for me)

2. Favorite books read in the last five years?
Anything by Ilona Andrews, the Kamila Khan Ms. Marvel books, wow this is hard...

3. Favorite genres?
Urban Fantasy

4. Underrated book, series or author you love?
Can't quite think of one at the moment, I'm sure they're there.

5. A book you want to see made into a film or tv show?
That way leads to disappointment, but I wouldn't mind seeing a live action Miles Morales Spiderman storyline on the big screen.

6. Book boyfriend/girlfriend? Book BFF? Book family?

7. Books you want to read in 2017?
Just a few that I've got my eye on...



6 comments:

  1. I definitely agree about Blogger! It's the platform I find the easiest to use when it comes to blogging, and I've been using it for years ;) I also feel the same way about IG! I'm still experimenting on there and trying to figure out what style I like best. Glad you're joining in on the Love-a-Thon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah, I love that your favourite colour is sparkly. I love that (and I also love sparkly things)! My name is Jen, and I'm also a Love-A-Thon participant. My primary platform is YouTube (Habitat for Happiness) but I also have a blog. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger is a fantastic platform. That's what I started out on and then got curious about wordpress and I honestly wish I'd stayed on Blogger. It's so much more user-friendly. I just started out on IG too and everyone always talks about having a theme, but I can't conform to one thing. So, my pictures tend to reflect the story within instead of having one collective theme throughout my account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I see all of these cool themed IG accounts and I'd love to develop that. But my kids like to steal my props, or the books for that matter. Right now it's kind of a mix of my reading life.

      Delete
  4. Cheesecake is my husband's favorite food too :-) and yes to wine and caffeine! I love that your favorite color is sparkly! I used that to describe the music I wanted in my videos when my brother in law was creating it and he was just like, what does that mean?! lol! Ahhh I'm also dying to watch The Expanse! I love Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica and I'm so ready for a new space series in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sparkly" is a sound! I know exactly what you mean. The Expanse is so good, but it does fire you up and make you wanna punch somebody. I watched the series before my husband did and I refused to rewatch it with him because my blood pressure couldn't take it. I like how the cultures, politics, issues are so layered and give the world depth without the viewer getting lost in the politics.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top